Please Select an Option
Galway City Recreation and Amenity Needs Study
The Galway City Recreation and Amenity Needs Study sets out a strategy for the development of passive and active recreation within the city.
The preparation of the Study is a requirement of the City Development Plan 2005-2011 and it was adopted by members of Galway City Council on the 28th January 2008.
The Study is available for inspection or purchase at the City Hall. View the Amenity Needs Study
The Galway City Recreation and Amenity Needs Study is a cumulation of extensive consultation, a review of national and local policy and an assessment of Galway’s amenity open space, ecological sites, water based amenities and sport facilities.
The Study identifies and assesses both Galway’s existing open space and amenity network and sports infrastructure and targets areas for further improvement based on current and future projected needs.
It builds on significant progress made in the past, reflected in the
- City Development Plan 2005-2011
- City Parks and Amenities Strategy 2002-2006
- City Habitats Inventory 2005
- Galway as a Child Friendly City 2000
- City Development Board Strategy ‘Gaillimh Beo agus Bríomhar’ 2002-2012.
What does the Study contain?
The Study sets out strategic/specific polices in chapter 9, which are designed to meet current and future needs in the city:
- Strategic policies – These are policies that cover all aspects of passive and action recreation and are strategic in nature.
- Specific policies – These relate specifically to amenity open space, ecology, water based resources and sport facilities.
- A series of short, medium and long term actions are identified to achieve strategic and specific policies.
In order to implement policies and actions, three important mechanisms have been identified: the preparation of master plans , management plans and guidelines.
The Study is set out as follows:
Chapter 1 – Introduction
Chapter 2 – Executive Summary
Chapter 3 – Background
Chapter 4 – Surveys
Chapter 5 – Policy Review
Chapter 6 - Assessment
Chapter 7 - Consultation
Chapter 8 – Current and Future Needs
Chapter 9 – Proposed Policies, Actions and Implementation
Appendices and Maps
The study was prepared as a joint initiative by the Planning & Economic Development and Parks & Culture Departments of Galway City Council, with the support of consultants Cunnane Stratton Reynolds.