Please Select an Option
History of The City Council
Galway City Council is the body which administers Local Government in the City.
Local Government in Ireland was started by the Anglo-Normans, and evolved in medieval times into the British systems of civic administration, symbolised by royal charters granted to towns by British monarchs.
The city of Galway has a long history of local self-government. Charters in the City Council were granted to Galway over six hundred years ago, but the most comprehensive Charter, which introduced the position of Mayor in the Borough, was granted in 1484.
Local Government in Galway was administered by the Borough Council from the fifteenth century until 1840, when the Charters of the City Council were abolished by the Municipal Corporations (Ireland) Act of that year. Town Commissioners then administered the town until 1899, when it received the status of Urban District.
The Local Government (Ireland) Act of 1898 democratised Local Government; hitherto it was the prerogative of the landed gentry. In 1937, the Local Government (Galway) Act re-established the town of Galway as a Borough and incorporated the inhabitants and successors as a City Council under the name of “The Mayor, Aldermen and Burgesses of the Borough of Galway”.
A further milestone in the history of Local Government in the City was in 1985 when the status of County Borough was granted under the Local Government (Reorganisation) Act, 1985.
Today, Galway City Council comprises two arms: