Please Select an Option
Mayor of Galway City
The Mayor is elected from the membership of the council at a statutory meeting of the City Council which is held in June each year.
Cllr. Terry O'Flaherty
Councillor Terry O' Flaherty is a native of Galway. - reared in Mervue, where she resided for many years. Terry now lives in Seagrove, Renmore, Galway City.
Terry was educated at the Presentation Convent, Presentation Road, Galway.
She worked for many years in the family business in Mervue. She was also a Bookmaker for some time and, since 1999, has been a full-time Councillor.
Her hobbies and many interests include - gardening, reading and walking. She has, for many years, been actively involved in fund-raising for charities and worthy causes.
She is the daughter of the late Bridie O'Flaherty, former Mayor of Galway City, from 1980/1981 and again in 1985/1986. Terry was also Mayor in 2003/2004, and was elected Mayor for a second time on 25th June, 2012. They both were poll toppers in their respective elections. Observers claim that this is a record, namely, Mother and Daughter, serving twice as Mayors of their City.
- Terry was first Elected for the Progressive Democrats to Galway City Council in 1999 on her first outing and has been successful in every election since and she is now an Independent Councillor
- She is a member of the Strategic Policy Committees (SPC) for both Housing and the Environment
- Member of the Western Regional Authority (WRA)
- Member of the Vocational Educational Committee (VEC)
- Member of the Governing Body of GMIT (GB-GMIT)
- Board Member of the School of Management Moneenageisha Community College, Galway
Mayor of the City of Galway: 2003/'04 and 2012/'13