Who is eligible to apply for a Housing Adaptation Grant for People with a Disability?
A person with a disability who requires adaptation works to render a house more suitable for their accommodation needs or a home-owner on behalf of a person with a disability who is a member of the household may apply.
A housing adaptation grant is available where changes need to be made to a home to make it suitable for a person with a physical, sensory or intellectual disability or mental health difficulty to live in.
What types of works are possible under the Housing Adaptation Grant?
The grant can help you to make changes and adaptations to your home.
- making it wheelchair-accessible
- extending it to create more space
- adding a ground-floor bathroom or toilet
- adding a stair-lift.
In some cases, the provision of heating can be included, but only under certain conditions.
If you only require minor work, you can apply for the means-tested Mobility Aids Grant Scheme instead.
Is the application for Housing Adaptation Grant for People with a Disability means tested?
Yes. Applicants will be assessed on the basis of household means. The effective maximum grant of 30,000 euro, to cover up to 95% of the cost of works, may be available to applicants with gross household incomes of up to 30,000 euro per annum, tapering to 30% for applicants with gross household incomes of between 50,001 euro to 60,000 euro per annum. The same means test applies in every local authority area.
Your total household income is assessed to find out if you qualify for the grant and the amount payable.
Household income is:
- Property owner's (or tenant's, in the case of private renting) and spouse's/partner's annual gross income in the previous tax year
- Income of any other adults living in the household - aged over 23 years (or over 18 and not in full-time education)
In determining gross household income local authorities shall apply the following income disregards:
- €5,000 for each member of the household aged up to age 18 years if in full time education;
- €5,000 for each member of the household aged between 18 and 23 years and in full time education or engaged in a FAS apprenticeship;
- €5,000 where the person with a disability for whom the application for grant aid is sought, is being cared for by a relative on a full-time basis;
- Child Benefit;
- Early Childcare Supplement;
- Family Income Supplement;
- Domiciliary Care Allowance;
- Respite Care Grant;
- Foster Care Allowance;
- Fuel Allowance.
- Carer's Benefit / Allowance (where the Carer's payment is made in respect of the persons for whom the application for grant aid is sought);
What amount of a grant can I expect to receive?
The amount of grant paid is dependent on your total household income as per the table below.
Housing Adaptation Grant for People with a Disability:
Gross Maximum Household
% of Costs available Maximum Grant Available € % € Up to €30,000 95% 30,000 € 30,001 - €35,000 85% 25,500 € 35,001 - €40,000 75% 22,500 € 40,001 - €50,000 50% 15,000 € 50,001 - €60,000 30% 9,000 In excess of €60,000 No Grant is Payable
Where can I obtain an application form for the Housing Adaptation Grant for People with a Disability?
- Housing Adaptation Grant for People with a Disability [English]
- Housing Adaptation Grant for People with a Disability [Irish]