What is the Economic Development Unit?
Galway City Council's Economic Development Unit aims to facilitate economic activity in the City.
The Council recognises the importance of the role that business plays in the economy and is committed to the delivery of key activities that assist businesses on a daily basis. The Unit which is an is an initiative of the Community & Enterprise department:
- Is responsible for the economic development role of Galway City Council in promoting Galway City as a place to invest, work and do business.
- Seeks to create the right conditions for strong economic activity across the City and to increase Galway's global competitiveness by collaborating with a range of key agencies in both the public and private sectors,
- Provides information on and co-ordinates access to a range of Galway City Council services that are required for setting up or growing a business - from small to large-scale businesses.
What are the objectives of the Economic Development Unit of Galway City Council?
The Economic Development Unit acts as a liaison:
- For businesses/companies that require Galway City Council support on Planning, Roads/Water and other Infrastructure issues.
- For the Metropolitan Area Network Scheme (High speed Broadband connectivity for industry and business)
- With IDA & Enterprise Ireland on specific issues relating to Galway City.
The Economic Development Unit works on coordinating data and information on population, services and facilities in Galway which ensure that companies and agencies that require census and other demographic figures have up to date and accurate information
The Economic Development Unit assist with developing specific initiatives to promote Galway City as a place to invest, work and do business.
Initiatives to date include:
- One of the lead agencies for Meet West - an annual business networking event. See www.MeetWest.ie
- Providing support for the business networks in Galway including Chamber of Commerce , ITAG, Westbic
- Evaluation committee member of the Enterprise Board/Local Enterprise Office
- Development of the Galway City Council Action Plan for Jobs
- Development of the Economic Development Strategy for Galway City
- Proposed support/admin role for the delivery of the new Strategic Policy Committee (SPC) on Economic Development
- Liasing with other Local Authorities, Regional Authorities & National Government Departments on issues relating to economic development
The Galway City Council Economic Development Unit manages two Enterprise Centres on behalf of Galway City Council - Sandy Road and Westside Enterprise Centre.
Galway City Council manages the following aspects of the centres:
- Advertising, rental and lease agreement of the units
- Rent collection and bad debt collection relating to the units
- All maintenance issues regarding the units
- All day-to-day issues associated with being a commercial landlord
The Economic Development Unit also sits on the board of the Enterprise Centres:
- Fionntarlann Teo (Westside Enterprise Centre)
- Ballybane Enterprise Centre
Does Galway City Council provide businesses with grants?
No - The Enterprise Board provides all business support grants - see www.galwayenterprise.ie for more information.
What type of support can the council offer to businesses?
Galway City Council can provide advice on planning, environmental issues, rates - property, water connections, locations and access. The following websites may also be of interest:
If I have a business, do I need to get any particular licence from the City Council?
No, not specifically. However there are planning & waste management permissions that may be required.
What enterprise units are available to rent through the city council?
- Sandy Road
- Westside Enterprise Centre
- Also Ballybane Enterprise Centre & Fionntarlann Centre (westside)
If you wish to make an enquiry about renting one of the enterprise units, please contact Galway City Council on 091-536461.
Useful links for Economic Development in Galway City include:
- Traffic, Transport & Parking
- Environment, Litter & Waste
- Recreation & Leisure
Useful links - Business
- Economic Development Unit
- Budgets & Financials
- Commercial Rates
- Commercial Rates & Landlords
- Green Business
- Local Economic and Community Plan
- Local Property Tax
- Making Payments
- Receiving Payment
- Supplier of Goods/Services
- Property Entry Levy
- Community & Culture
- Your Council
Useful links - Your Council
- Access to Information on Environment
- Register of Electors
- Contact Us
- Council Meetings
- Customer Service
- Ethics and Declaration of Interest
- Mayor of Galway City
- Council Members
- Groups and Committees
- Higher Education Grants
- Freedom of Information
- Management Team
- Town Twinnings
- Report It
- Reuse of Public Sector Information
- FOI Publication Scheme
- Human Resources