All the volunteers who are nominated for a Mayor's Award are already winners in their own right - so said The Mayor of Galway City this week. Cllr. Noel Larkin launched the 14th annual Mayor's Awards and called on people in Galway to nominate unpaid volunteers for their work in the community in the city.
The Mayor's Awards will again acknowledge outstanding people and organisations that, through their commitment to participating in unpaid community and voluntary activities, have had a significant impact on the quality of life of their communities in Galway City.
Nominations are invited from people in Galway City for individuals or organisations for the Mayor's Awards . There are 8 individual Mayor's Awards:
- Arts, Culture, Heritage & Cúrsaí Gaeilge Award
- Residents & Local Areas Award
- Community Service & Social Inclusion Award
- Older Volunteer of the Year Award
- Sports Volunteer of the Year Award
- Children and Youth Support Award
- Young Volunteer of the Year
- The Galway City Council Volunteer of the Year Award
Each of the Award winners will receive a specially commissioned trophy and a cheque for €500. All nominees will be presented with an individually designed Mayoral Certificate at the Awards ceremony which will be held in May in the Radisson Blu Hotel Galway.