Does Galway have a City Arts Service?
Yes. The City Arts Service is managed by Galway City Arts Office.
What is Galway Arts Office?
In common with other Irish Local Authorities, Galway City Council takes responsibility for support and development of contemporary creativity in is operational area. Since 2001 Galway City Arts Office has been a vibrant and essential part of Galway City Council.
Established to advise the Council on all aspects of contemporary arts practice, the Arts Service runs its own programme of residencies, events, interventions and strategic partnerships.
Where can I find the Galway City Arts Office?
The Galway City Arts Office is based in Galway City Council offices at City Hall, College Road, Galway.
If I have a query whom should I contact?
General queries should be addressed to the Culture and Community Office in City Hall Tel. 091 536573 or Email email@example.com
More specific queries (such as artist and organisation development) should be addressed to the City Arts Officer.
How do I contact the Arts Officer?
The Arts Officer for Galway City Council is James Harrold.
He may be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 091-536546 (from outside Ireland ring +353 91 536 546).
If you are requesting a meeting please email in advance telling us what you wish to discuss. The Arts Officer is delighted to welcome personal callers to the Arts Office, by appointment.
Which artistic practices and art forms does the Arts Office cover?
We engage with contemporary creativity in the art forms of architecture, circus, dance, film, literature, music, opera, street art and spectacle, theatre, traditional arts and visual culture. We work in practices that cross the art forms; the practices include venues, young people, children, education, arts and health, arts and disability, socially engaged art and artist's supports.
We do not engage with heritage or conservation unless there is a contemporary, living aspect to the project. For heritage and conservation projects and funding please see the Heritage Office in Galway City Council and / or Galway City Museum.
How does the Arts Office support creative practitioners?
- We offer individual artist bursaries and residencies in the Tyrone Guthrie Centre, Annaghmakerrig, Co. Monaghan.
- Individual artist bursaries are offered on a competitive basis to artists in all contemporary art forms. Application criteria and timelines are announced on this website and in the media. Application forms are available on this website in the Application Forms section. The artist bursaries are for individual professional artists domiciled in Galway city. The bursaries consist of financial awards given to support the artist's practice.
- Tyrone Guthrie Awards are residencies in the Tyrone Guthrie Centre, Annaghmakerrig, Co. Monaghan. They are awarded to assist professional artists in the development of their practice. Application forms are available on this website in the Application Forms section.
How does the Arts Office support arts organisations and groups?
- We offer annual arts grants to professional and voluntary arts organisations operating in Galway city. The principal and primary raison d'être of the organisation or group must be contemporary art practice.
- Annual arts grants are awarded on a competitive basis. Application criteria and timelines are announced on this website and on the media. Application forms are available on this website in the Application Forms section.
Where can I find information on arts and culture in Galway?
For news and updates on the arts in Galway, follow the Galway City Arts Service page on Facebook.
A listing of Arts related events can also be found on Galway City Council's events calendar.
City Arts Grant Awards (Organisations) 2016
APPLICANT Award Access Music Project 3,000 Adventures in Music 1,000 An Áit Eile 1,000 Ala Participatory Theatre 1,000 Artspace Studios 9,000 Away With Words (Brothers of Charity) 1,500 Baboró 15,500 Blue Teapot Theatre Company (Brothers of Charity) 4,000 Branar Téatar do Pháisti 3,000 Claddagh Community Music 500 Club Shine 300 Cois Cladaigh 3,500 Colours Fringe Festival 1,500 Colours Street Theatre Company 1,000 COPE Galway (Sonas Art Group) 500 Crannog Media 1,180 Croi na Gaillimhe Writers Group 300 Cúirt 13,000 Decadent Theatre Company 1,000 Druid Performing Arts 28,000 Engage Art Studios 4.050 Forge Clay Studios 1,000 Fregoli Theatre Company 1,000 Galway African Film Festival 500 Galway Art Club 600 Galway Arts Centre 19,000 Galway Baroque Singers 4,250 Galway Cathedral Recitals 1,720 Galway Choral Association 2,000 Galway Community Circus 6,000 Galway Dance Project 5,550 Galway Early Music 8.000 Galway Feminist Collective 500 Galway Film Centre (ID Films) 12,000 Galway Film Fleadh 16,000 Galway Film Society 7,000 Galway Fringe Festival 2,800 Galway International Arts Festival 46,000 Galway Jazz Festival 3,500 Galway Music Residency 23,000 Galway Musical Society 3,000 Galway Patrician Musical Society 3,000 Galway Percy French Society 300 Galway Print Studio 2,000 The Galway Review 500 The Galway Sessions 8,000 Galway Steinway (1981) Trust 600 Galway Theatre Festival 4,000 Galway University Hospitals Arts Trust 9,000 Galway Youth Arts Alliance 2,000 Galway Youth Orchestra 5,000 Galway Youth Theatre 8,000 Impressions 2016 1,000 Irish Patchwork Society - Western Branch 500 ISDA Festival 500 John Rogers Theatre 200 Junior Galway Film Fleadh 1,500 KATS 500 Little Cinema 3,000 Macnas 24,000 Moonfish 4,900 Music for Galway 13,500 No Ropes Theatre 500 126 Artist Run Gallery 6,000 Over the Edge 3,000 Renmore Pantomime Society 2,500 Saint Nicholas Schola Cantorum 3,000 Soundscape (Brothers of Charity) 4,000 Speckled Egg Dance 300 The Theatre Room 1,000 Tulca 10,000 Tunes in the Church 1,750 Westside Arts Festival 2,500 Youth Ballet West 1,200 385,000
- Traffic, Transport & Parking
- Environment, Litter & Waste
- Recreation & Leisure
Useful links - Business
- Economic Development Unit
- Budgets & Financials
- Commercial Rates
- Commercial Rates & Landlords
- Green Business
- Local Economic and Community Plan
- Local Property Tax
- Making Payments
- Receiving Payment
- Supplier of Goods/Services
- Property Entry Levy
- Community & Culture
- Your Council
Useful links - Your Council
- Access to Information on Environment
- Register of Electors
- Contact Us
- Council Meetings
- Customer Service
- Ethics and Declaration of Interest
- Mayor of Galway City
- Council Members
- Groups and Committees
- Higher Education Grants
- Freedom of Information
- Management Team
- Town Twinnings
- Report It
- Reuse of Public Sector Information
- FOI Publication Scheme
- Human Resources