PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT ACT 2000 (As amended)
PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT REGULATIONS 2001 (As amended) (PART 8)
Ballybane Road and Castlepark Road Cycle Network Scheme
Applicant: Galway City Council
Location: R865 Ballybane Road & L5029 Castlepark Road, Galway City
Proposal: In accordance with Part XI of the Planning & Development Acts 2000 (as amended) and Part VIII, Article 81 of the Planning Development Regulations 2001 (as amended), notice is hereby given by Galway City Council of the proposal to provide a segregated high quality cycle route along the R865 Ballybane Road and the L5029 Castlepark Road, Galway; entitled “Ballybane Road and Castlepark Road Cycle Network Scheme”.
The site is located as follows:
- R865 Ballybane Road, from its junction with the R339 Monivea Road to a point approximately 130m north of Skerritt Roundabout (R338 Dublin Road).
- L5029 Castlepark Road, from its junction with R865 Ballybane Road to its junction with R339 Monivea Road
The existing Ballybane Road is a single lane carriageway widening in places to two lanes at junctions to allow for turning lanes. Ballybane Road has a short section of existing cycle infrastructure between the N6 Bothar na dTreabh junction and the Monivea Road junction, in the form of advisory cycle lanes. The remainder of Ballybane Road has no cycle infrastructure but has footpaths on either side of its length. The section of Ballybane Road under consideration is approximately 1.2km long.
Castlepark Road is a single lane carriageway with no existing cycle infrastructure. There are footpaths on both sides of the road. The section of Castlepark Road under consideration is approximately 1.24km.
The development will consist of:
- The provision of a 2m protected cycle track and 2m footpath on both sides of Ballybane Road and Castlepark Road, reducing in places where constraints exist.
- Reduction in road carriageway widths (typically 3m wide lanes).
- Junction realignments and the introduction of raised crossings on all side roads to prioritise pedestrian movements.
- Straight through cycle lane/track crossings on all side road junctions to prioritise cyclists movements.
- The provision of signalised crossings for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Upgrading of the R865 Ballybane Road / L5029 Castlepark Road junction and L5029 Castlepark Road / R339 Monivea Road junction to signalised junctions with provision for pedestrians and cyclists.
- The introduction of pedestrian and shared crossing points at several locations.
- The provision of landscaping along the routes.
An Environmental Impact Assessment Screening Report has been prepared in respect of the proposed development and in accordance with Article 120(1)(b)(1) of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001 (As amended), concluded that an Environmental Impact Assessment Report is not required. In accordance with Section 120 of the Planning & Development Regulations (as amended), any person may, within 4 weeks from the date of this notice, apply to An Bord Pleanála for a screening determination as to whether the proposed development would be likely to have significant effects on the environment. Such a submission should be addressed to the Secretary, An Bord Pleanála, 64 Marlborough Street, Dublin 1.
Galway City Council has carried out an Appropriate Assessment (AA) Screening Report and has concluded that a full Appropriate Assessment is not required in respect of this proposed development.
Plans and particulars of the proposed development, including the Environmental Impact Assessment Screening Report and Appropriate Assessment Screening Report, will be available for public inspection or purchase at a fee not exceeding the reasonable cost of making a copy during office hours for a period of 4 weeks from Thursday, 27th of April 2023 up to and including Thursday, 25th of May 2023 during public hours at the Planning Office, Galway City Council, City Hall, College Road, Galway, from 9:00am to 4:00 pm Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays. For appointments, please contact planning at 091-536599 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Written submissions or observations with respect to the proposed development dealing with the proper planning and sustainable development of the area in which the development is situated may be made in writing to the Local Authority to arrive no later than: 4.00pm on Thursday, 8th of June 2023 to Senior Planner, Planning Department, Galway City Council, City Hall, College Road, Galway or by email to email@example.com. It should be noted that the Freedom of Information Act applies to all records held by Galway City Council.
All comments, including names of those making comments, submitted to the Council regarding this scheme will form part of the statutorily required report to be presented at a meeting of the elected members. Accordingly, they may also be included in the minutes of that meeting and may appear in the public domain. Galway City Council is subject to the provisions of Freedom of Information (FOI Acts 1997 and 2014) and the Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2013.
Director of Service Infrastructure Development, Planning & Climate Change
Date: 27th of April 2023
06-Drawings-Site Location and Site Notice Location Plans.pdf
07-Drawings-Ballybane Long Form.pdf
08-Drawings-Castlepark Long Form.pdf