Community Climate Action Programme
The Community Climate Action Programme aims to support small and large communities to take climate action. The overall objective of the programme is to empower communities to shape and build low carbon, sustainable communities and to contribute to national climate and energy targets.
In conjunction with the Department of the Environment, Climate and Communications, Galway City Council, will assist in the scale up of community climate action. A new Community Climate Action Fund will be available to support relevant climate action projects across a number of themes.
There are two strands of funding available:
- Strand 1: Building Low Carbon Communities focuses on direct climate action in Galway City.
- Strand 1a: Shared Island Community Climate Action enables communities and Local Authorities to carry out a cross-border project in partnership with organisations in Northern Ireland.
How will the Programme work?
Projects should seek to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, assist the transition to low carbon and sustainable economy and increase climate resilience. Funding will be allocated to community organisations based on an appraisal of Expression of Interest forms submitted to Galway City Council and approval of the Minister.
Projects should address at least one, preferably several of the following themes:
Energy, sustainable travel, shopping & recycling, food & waste, and climate action.
Types of eligible projects could include:
- Community renewable energy
- Retrofitting community buildings
- Energy efficiency upgrades
- LED community lighting
- Community EV charging points
- Improving access to cycle ways
- Cycle parking
- Community gardens, mini forests, pollinator projects
- Community repair hubs
- Water refill stations
Who can apply?
Eligible community organisations must:
- be a not-for-profit organisation.
- be located within Galway City.
- submit a completed application form on or before the specified closing date and time.
- be registered with Galway City Community Network www. galwaycitycommunitynetwork.ie or connected with other collectives such as the Wheel, Tidy Towns and /or a community group with Articles of Association or a Constitution, which hold an AGM, and for which approved minutes are available.
What funding is available?
Up to 100% funding may be provided for eligible costs and there are three project scales:
- Small scale projects up to €20,000
- Medium scale projects €20,000 to €50,000
- Large scale projects €51,000 to €100,000
How does a community group apply?
Expressions of interest for this fund will open in the coming weeks. If your group is interested in applying or would like to ask a question about a potential project, please submit queries to firstname.lastname@example.org