Community Support Helpline Privacy Notice
As part of the National Local Authority Community Response, Galway City Council have set up a dedicated community response helpline to ensure that all vulnerable members of our communities are appropriately supported as we move through the next stages of the response to the COVID-19 current public health emergency.
The Council's role as one of the agencies that comprise the established Community Response Forum is to ensure that there is a coordinated community response to enable all voluntary statutory agencies to collaborate in support of our communities and particularly of our most vulnerable members.
The dedicated Council Community Support phone number and email will help to ensure the safety and well-being of our communities and assist at risk members of the public in accessing non-emergency and non-medical support and advice during this period of the current public health emergency.
This Privacy Statement explains how Galway City Council will process Personal Data collected through the Community Response call center during the Covid-19 (coronavirus) Pandemic.
The processing of Personal Data is governed by the Data Protection Act 2018 and by the General Data Protection Regulation.
What type and how will your Personal Data be collected?
Personal Data will be collected by Galway City Council employees when you seek assistance through the Community Response Helpline. This data will be submitted by you either through the telephone or by email.
The types of personal data that you may be required to provide to the Council staff manning the helpline will be as follows,
- Address including Eircode
- Contact details including telephone number and/or e-mail
- Any other details including health related data deemed necessary in order to match your needs with the most appropriate community support
We always aim to collect the minimum data necessary to meet your individual needs most effectively.
Galway City Council will as part of the Community Support Response also be cross-referencing any personal data provided with existing data maintained by ALONE on individuals in our Community already identified as being vulnerable and in isolation. Galway City Council may also receive from various Community Support Organisations personal data already gathered since the start of the Covid-19 public health restriction measures but prior to the establishment of the Customer Response Helpline.
What is our lawful bases for processing your Personal Data?
Galway City Council's lawful bases for processing Personal Data collected from the community support helpline are as follows;
· You have provided your consent (Article 6 (1) (a) GDPR)
· The processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest; (Article 6 (1) (e) GDPR; Section 66 of the Local Government Act 2001)
· The processing is necessary in order to protect your vital interests; (Article 6 (1) (d) GDPR to have consistent with first bullet point)
Our lawful bases for the processing of your Special Category/Sensitive Personal Data are as follows:
· The processing is necessary for reasons of public interest in the area of public health acting on the guidance or directions of the National Public Health Emergency Team and Public Health Authority; (Article 9 (2) (i) and Section 53 of the Data Protection Act 2018)
· That you have provided explicit consent to the processing of this category of Personal Data for one or more specific purposes; (Article 9 (2) (a))
Who will your Personal Data be shared with?
When you contact Galway City Council's Community Support Helpline to seek assistance during the Covid - 19 (Coronavirus) pandemic, Galway City Council may need to share your Personal Data and Special Category/Sensitive data with the following public agencies in order to provide you with the assistance required;
- Health Service Executive
- An Garda Síochána
- An Post
- Community Welfare Service, Dept. of Employment Affairs and Social Protection
- Galway City Public Participation Network (PPN representing over 120 community and voluntary and community groups in Galway City)
- Galway Sports Partnership
- St. Vincent de Paul
- Galway Volunteer Centre
- COPE Galway
- Galway City Partnership
- Galway GAA
- Red Cross
- Civil Defence
- Citizens Information Centre
- Galway Traveller Movement
- Westside Age Inclusion
Many other community, voluntary, religious and sporting organisations, as well as businesses and individuals, are actively involved in the community support effort throughout Galway City.
How long will we hold your Personal Data?
Your Personal Data collected by Galway City Council's Community Support Helpline Team shall only be held for the duration of the COVID-19 restrictions.
How will we protect your Personal Data?
Your Personal Data that you provide us will be securely protected by rigorous measures and procedures to make sure it can't be seen, accessed by, or disclosed to anyone who shouldn't be allowed to see it. We provide training to employees who handle Personal Data and treat it as a disciplinary matter if they misuse or do not look after your Personal Data properly.
For further information on how Galway City Council processes Personal Data and your rights, please refer to Galway City Council's Main Privacy Statement which can be found on our website https://www.galwaycity.ie/privacy-policy
You may contact the Galway City Council's Data Protection Officer at the Council Headquarters on