The Decade of Centenaries Programme for 2022 marks events arising from the signing of the Anglo-Irish Treaty; the outbreak of the Civil War; and the foundation of the State. The Government’s objective is to promote an inclusive, respectful, authentic, measured and consultative approach to commemorations, which encourages a deeper understanding of the context of the time, recognising the differing perspectives on our shared history and seeking to strengthen peace and reconciliation on the island of Ireland.
Galway City Council will coordinate and support a range of activities locally in the city of Galway throughout the year and now invites submissions for the organisation of local events in the coming months.
- Small scale grants are available from Galway City Council for community-led commemoration and reflection: Remembering local legacies, personalities, places, events, and themes that have particular significance across the city, or in local areas.
- Community-led commemorations could include activities such as development of curated digital content, online exhibitions, podcasts, webinars, virtual tours, artistic and creative endeavours, and other online outreach activities for people of all ages.
- Particular emphasis will be placed on initiatives designed to support engagement with older people, new communities, young people, and other specific audiences.
- Galway City Council Arts Office also invites artists, in all art forms, to reflect on the themes of the Decade of Centenaries Programme relevant to life in Galway City around the period 1922, to create a new and imaginative works which will engage the public.
- Submissions should be made by 21st January and events/activities need to be completed by 30th September 2022.
- All initiatives, events, and activities funded from this allocation must adhere to all of the public health advice and guidance, laid down by the HSE and the Government, with regard to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Grants amounts will be in the region of €1000 with a maximum grant of €3,000 for exceptional activities.
- Full details including Government objectives around the commemoration of the Decade of
Guidelines are available below or by emailing email@example.com
View Guidelines for Community led Decade of Commemorations Funding Scheme 2022
Checklist (Please ensure that the following is included with your application)
• Evidence of required permissions from property/venue owner for all proposed activities.
• Evidence of Public Liability Insurance in place.
• Evidence of any match funding in place. (if required for this proposal)
• Evidence of required breakdown of costs for project delivery.
• Conformation that the project proposed is not in receipt of any other public funding.
Funding for this scheme is from the allocation from the Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media, to Galway City Council under the Community Strand of the Decade of Centenaries programme.
There are 21 questions in this application form.