Homeless Services

  • I am at risk of becoming homeless, what should I do?

    If you are at risk of becoming homeless, there are a number of services that may be able to provide assistance to you.

    • The Social Worker in the Housing Dept. of Galway City Council .
      All services provided are confidential and professional. The Social Worker can provide advice and advocacy in relation to housing, tenancy and social problems.

      The Social Work Department work closely with statutory and voluntary bodies to prevent homelessness. The key focus is on supporting individuals and families to access appropriate community based services at an early stage to avert a homeless situation arising.

      Contact: GCC Social Work Services,
      Galway City Council
      City Hall, College Rd.,

      Tel: 091-536400 
      Email: Housing@galwaycity.ie

    • Threshold

      Threshold is a frontline advice and advocacy service for people with housing problems and people at risk of homelessness. Their service is free, independent and confidential. For further information, go to www.threshold.ie or Freephone 1800 454 454

      Galway Threshold Advice Centre
      5 Prospect Hill,
      Tel: 1800 454 454 (Freephone)
      Email: advicegalway@threshold.ie

    • COPE Galway
      COPE Galway aims to improve quality of life, in a home of your own for people affected by homelessness, women and children experiencing domestic violence and older people.

      COPE Galway operates a range of services to people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness includingPreventative Services for those at risk of homelessness, Emergency Accommodation for people who are homeless, Transitional Accommodation and Resettlement and Tenancy Support for those who are moving out of homelessness into independent living.

      COPE Galway
      2-5 Calbro House
      Tuam Rd
      Tel: 091-778750

    • Galway Simon Community

      Galway Simon Community provide a range of support and accommodation services to people who are homeless and at risk of homelessness. Their services consist of Homelessness Prevention,  Supported Housing and Health & Well-being services. Galway Simon Community supports a person’s right to security, dignity and wellbeing in their own home. They are relentlessly committed to finding answers to the questions faced by real people at risk of, or experiencing, homelessness.

      To make a referral to Galway Simon’s services, visit here or contact them on the details below:

      Galway Simon Community
      11 Sean Mulvoy Centre,
      Sean Mulvoy Road,
      H91 EAY0
      Tel. 091-381828
      Email: info@galwaysimon.ie

    • Private Residential Tenancies Board, PRTB,
      If you are renting privately and are in dispute with your landlord the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB) offer a landlord tenant dispute resolution service. The tenancy does not need to be registered to access this service. A mediator assists the parties to explore each other's respective positions and reach a resolution of the dispute to which both are agreed.

      Contact the Private Residential Tenancies Board, on (01) 6350 600 Monday to Friday: 9.30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. or visit their website at www.prtb.ie

    • Money Advice and Budgeting Service (MABS)
      The Money Advice and Budgeting Service (MABS) is a free, confidential, independent and non-judgmental service for people in debt, or in danger of getting into debt, in Ireland.

      The contact details for their Galway office are as follows:

      Galway MABS South
      3rd Floor, The Halls
      Quay Street

      Tel: 0761 07 2570
      Email: galway@mabs.ie
      Web: www.mabs.ie

      Opening Hours: Monday - Thursday, 9.30am-1pm and 2pm-5.30pm / Friday, 9.30am-1pm and 2pm-5pm

    • Department of Social Protection
      If you are unable to pay for accommodation with your own resources and your only income is a social welfare payment, you may qualify for rent supplement. This is also dependent on you having a valid housing needs assessment carried out by Galway City Council. Other rules also apply such as a means test and a habitual residency test.

      To apply for Rent Supplement you should contact the Department of Social Protection's representative (formerly known as the Community Welfare Officer).

      Social Welfare Local Office, Galway
      Geata na Cathrach,

      Tel: (091) 536700, (091) 536702 & (091) 536720

      Opening Hours: 9:30 - 12.30, Open Thu. 10:30

    • Keepingyourhome.ie

      Keepingyourhome.ie is provided by the Citizens Information Board and the Money Advice and Budgeting Service (MABS). The website aims to provide comprehensive information on the services and entitlements available if you are having difficulties paying your rent or making your mortgage repayments.

      Keepingyourhome.ie is based on content from the citizensinformation.ie website and the Money Advice and Budgeting Service website, mabs.ie

    • Contact The Legal Aid Board

      The Legal Aid Board is responsible for the provision of legal aid and advice on matters of civil law to persons unable to fund such services from their own resources. The Legal Aid Board does not provide legal aid in criminal matters. The Board's services are provided by a variety of means including a network of thirty three full time law centres located throughout the country and a number of other part time law centres.

      For details of your nearest law centre log onto www.legalaidboard.ie Or call 066 947 1000, LoCall: 1890 615 200


  • I am homeless - who should I contact for assistance?

    If you are in need of emergency homeless services, you should register yourself as homeless at the Housing counter at Galway City Council's offices, 9.30am to 1p.m. Monday to Friday. Galway City Council will carry out an assessment and make a decision regarding your eligibility for homeless service provision.

    Galway City Council's housing counter is located in City Hall, College Road, Galway.

    View a map of Galway City Council's location.

    Galway City Council's housing counter is open from 9.30AM to 1PM Monday to Friday.

    Tel. 091-894372

    If you require assistance outside of the Housing Counter hours, please contact COPE Galway on Freephone number 1800 788 887

    If you are outside of Galway City you must contact the housing department of the local authority where you are resident for assistance, assessment and the provision of a service.


  • I am not from Ireland, can I still access homeless services?

    If you are a non-Irish national, which includes Asylum Seekers, Refugees and persons from EU Accession countries, you have the option of going to the following office: HPU Office, 77 Gardiner Street, Dublin 1. 10am - 11.30am and 2pm to 3.30pm (Monday to Friday) or Telephone 01- 858 5100.

    This service will check if you are eligible to claim for mainstream Social Welfare Payments.

    If you are aged under 18 years

    The Health Service Executive (HSE) has responsibility to respond to your needs if you are homeless and aged under 18 years. A social worker with the HSE will help you. If you become homeless or are at risk of homelessness, go to your local area health office.

    If after 5pm (i.e. the local area health office is closed), go to the local Garda Station and the Gardaí will contact the on-duty Social Worker for the HSE Area so that emergency accommodation can be arranged.

    Once an assessment has been carried out and you are deemed eligible and in need of homeless services you will be offered emergency accommodation, which will be regularly reviewed by Galway City Council.

    Emergency Homeless Accommodation is available at the following locations in Galway City:

    • Women's Service
      COPE, Osterley Lodge, 140 Lower Salthill,
      Tel. 091-521301
    • Men's Service
      COPE, Fairgreen Hostel, Fairgreen, Galway
      Tel. 091-568818
    • Domestic Violence
      COPE, Waterside House
      Tel. 091-565985
    • Family Support Service
      Teach Corrib Day Centre, COPE Galway, Westside House, Seamus Quirke Road, Galway
      Tel: 091 525259
      Email: daycentre@copegalway.ie
      Opening Hours:
      8.30am to 4.00pm (Mon-Fri)
      8.30am to 2.00pm (Sat)