Mayor of Galway City encourages young people to unleash their creativity at Galway City’s Cruinniú na nÓg on Saturday 15th June.
Over 10 free creative activities for under 18’s as part of Creative Ireland Programme initiative supported by Galway City Council and RTÉ.
Mayor of Galway City, Cllr. Niall McNelis is calling on all children and young people to fire up their imaginations and take part in one of the free Cruinniú na nÓg events that will take place around the city on Saturday 15th June 2019.
Now in its second year, Cruinniú na nÓg celebrates and encourages participation by children and young people in creative activities in their local neighbourhoods and communities. Led by the local Creative Galway Team in Galway City Council, with huge support from Youth Work Ireland Galway, local artists, arts organisations, creative practitioners, libraries and the local community activities include everything from fantastic wall art and murals, circus performances, live music performances, puppet making to coding and robotics. With a strong emphasis on participation, activities are specially designed to spark an interest and encourage the inner creative in children to try something new or fulfil a secret ambition! All events are free and activity based with opportunities for young people to get involved in ‘doing’, ‘making’, ‘creating’ and trying new things.
Highlights of Galway City’s Cruinniú na nÓg include:
- Get Your Circus On! – Workshop event by the Galway Community Circus in Ballinfoile, Castlegar Neighbourhood Centre from 9.30 am – 12 noon on Saturday 15th June 2019 for kids to try out circus skills.
- Drama Workshops - Galway based Morgan Theatre will facilitate drama workshops with children aged 7+. Children will learn the art of theatre and drama. 11am – 12 noon Westside Library.
- Coding & Robotics - Corrib Kids coding will facilitate coding workshops for children aged 6-12. Children will engage with technology and learn basic coding. 10.20 – 12 noon & 2.30 – 4pm in Westside Library.
- Clár Techspace will also host a BlaiseTeic/Tech Taster session for children over the age of 13, where they can try out a choice of two STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Maths) workshops through the medium of Irish. 10am – 1pm & 2pm – 4pm Áras na n Gael, Dominick Street.
- Livefeed, a Galway 2020 project for young people (aged 13-18) interested in music performance, production and promotion where participants will take part in a live music event from 2pm – 4pm in the Galway 2020 Office on Merchants Road.
Cllr. Niall McNelis, Mayor of Galway City said “I am particularly pleased that all Cruinniú na nÓg events are free so that as many children and young people as possible will have the opportunity to participate. I would encourage everyone to check out what is happening in your local area and to avail of the opportunity to make this year’s Cruinniú na nÓg the spark that ignites your child’s imagination and adventures in creativity. There are opportunities for participation and self-expression through creative activity. This is very important for our youth and we encourage parents to get involved also.”
Full event details for Cruinniú na nÓg are available at creativeireland.gov.ie
You can download the programme here: