In light of the COVID-19 situation and recent announcements made by Government in relation to measures being taken to combat the spread of Covid-19, HAP tenants are advised of the following information, to ensure the continuity of HAP tenancies:
· If a HAP tenant does not experience any change in financial circumstances as a result of the steps being taken to combat the spread of COVID-19, there should be no change to the operation of the scheme – HAP payments will continue to be made to the landlord and the tenant’s differential rent will continue to be collected;
· If a tenant does experience a change in financial circumstances on foot of COVID-19, those tenants should contact the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection and apply for the relevant supports https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cb3726-jobseekers-payments/
· To offset a requirement to present in person at Galway City Council Offices, documentation received from DEASP should then be scanned / photographed and submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible as proof of a change in financial circumstances,
· The possibility of Galway City Council staffing levels being reduced may lead to delays in differential rent amounts being amended – this will not affect your HAP payment to your landlord.
· Differential rent arrears that accumulate following the submission of DEASP documentation during the COVID-19 measures will be re-assessed and rectified, as appropriate, by Galway City Council in due course– this will not affect your HAP payment to your landlord.
In the interests of reducing direct contact, HAP tenants should check with the HAP Unit, Galway City Council by telephone 091- 536588 or by email to email@example.com before presenting in person at Galway City Council.