On May 15th, Minister for Business, Enterprise and Innovation, Heather Humphreys TD announced a Restart Grant, which will give direct grant aid to micro and small businesses
It is a contribution towards the cost of re-opening or keeping a business operational and re-connecting with employees and customers.
The grant can be used to defray ongoing fixed costs, for replenishing stock and for measures needed to ensure employee and customer safety.
Businesses must be located in Galway City. If your business is based in the County of Galway, the application must be made through Galway County Council.
Criteria for qualifying for the Grant:
Any business that has a commercially rateable premises, or where rates are paid on your behalf and attributable to the business premises you occupy, can apply. The business must also
· have a turnover of less than €5m and have 50 or less employees.
· have suffered a projected 25%+ loss in revenue from 1st April to 30th June 2020.
· commit to remain open or to reopen if it was closed.
· The business must also declare the intention to retain employees that are benefitting from the Temporary Wage Subsidy Scheme (TWSS).
Amount of Grant:
The grant will be the amount of your rates demand in respect of calendar year 2019 only, subject to a minimum of €2,000 and a maximum of €10,000.
In the event that your rates demand was reduced on appeal, the appeal rate will apply to an amount of the grant if the grant is over €2,000.
Non-payment of 2019 Rates or Arrears of Rates does not impact on payment of this Grant
Payment of Grant: The grant will be paid by electronic transfer to the business account as detailed on the Application form.
Applications for the Restart Grant must be made at: www.galwaycity.ie/restart
· Form must be completed online- This is a standardised National Form
· 33 Questions with 1 Document upload required (confirmation of your bank account details)
· Guidance with the 21 no. FAQs
· Self- Declaration Form--(Businesses should retain supporting documentation as spot-checks may be carried out to verify a declaration).
Processing of applications and payment of the Restart Grant will depend on the initial surge of applications but, as far as is feasible, will be prioritised according to scheduled re-opening phases in the national Roadmap.
Appeal Mechanism: Any decision to refuse a grant may be appealed to AppealRestart@galwaycity.ie up to 30th September 2020
Queries: All Queries must be directed to ReStartGrant@galwaycity.ie There will be staff dedicated to man this email account and will deal with all queries.
Businesses that are not Eligible for the Grant:
· Multiple chain stores, i.e. a business that is a non-financially independent branch of a group of chain stores which is owned and managed by a single entity,
· Non-commercial organisations such as community and sporting premises (including charity shops and community and sporting premises with a bar).
· Businesses that do not operate from commercially rateable premises (tradesmen, service providers, etc.)
· Premises that were vacant prior to the Covid-19 emergency
If a premises was not rate assessed in 2019 - GCC will endeavour to assess what the rates demand for 2019 would have been and, if, for any reason, an estimate cannot be made the minimum grant of €2,000 will be paid.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 31 August 2020.