In line with the Government’s Roadmap to re-open the country, Galway Library Service has begun a phased re-opening of services. General Government Guidance and work protocols will be adhered to at every stage for the safety of staff and patrons.
Online services will continue to be provided as will services to cocooners and the postal service for visually impaired. In addition from June 9th a ‘contact and collect’ service will be provided from the following Libraries;
- Ballybane, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, 091-509244, firstname.lastname@example.org
- City Library, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, 091-509094, email@example.com
- Westside, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, 091-509091, firstname.lastname@example.org
Collection hours will be 11 to 1 and 2 to 5.
‘Contact and collect’ means that patrons can contact their local library by phone, email or letter and ask that a selection of books be selected for them which they then collect on a given day. Patrons are advised to have their barcode number to hand when contacting the library. Requests for specific books cannot be accepted and stock can only be selected from material available on library shelves. Up to 12 books can be made available. Collection point will be at library entrance and there will be no access to other library services for the moment.
Returned items will be accepted and Collection Bins will be provided close to Collection points. All returned materials will undergo a 72 hour quarantine period before they can be re-issued.
Summer Reading Challenge for children (Contact and Collect)
- Each child receives a bag of books when they or a parent/guardian contact us.
- Each bag will contain 12 titles with at least 1 Irish Language title and 1 non -fiction title.
- 4 age groups as follows: 4 years and younger, 5-7 years, 8-10 years, 11 plus.
- Child is required to read 8 titles from the selection in the bag.
- In each bag will be a Record Card on which they can write in each title that they have read.
- On returning the Record Card (when we reopen fully possibly Phase 4) arrangements will be made to provide a Certificate of Completion for each child.
- Staff will pack the bags ready for collection by child/parent/guardian.
- Patron (probably parent on behalf of child) rings in or makes contact by email and says that they wish to register a child/children for the Reading Challenge. We obtain the year of birth, barcode number and get the bags ready. Name/s are put on bags and parent is notified and collects.
The Mobile Service (while the Mobile Unit will not be going out) will start to deliver books to individuals from next week. Please contact email@example.com or 091-509388 if you need books from the Mobile Service
Online Services www.galwaylibrary.ie
- join the library online;
- download eBooks and eAudiobooks;
- read magazines and newspapers
- take eLearning or language courses;
- watch or listen to storytimes