The Restart Grant Plus is a key part of the government's July Stimulus package, a €7.4bn package of measures designed to stimulate a jobs-led recovery and build economic confidence while continuing to manage the impact of Covid-19.
Key changes to the Restart Grant Plus Scheme:
- €300m additional funding in addition to €250m previously committed
- Grant amount has increased substantially. Minimum grant is now €4,000 and maximum is €25,000. Previous grant amounts were €2,000 and €10,000 respectively
- Medium sized companies now eligible Companies with up to 250 employees can now apply (previously the grant was for companies with less than 50 employees)
- Increased eligibility- Non-rateable B&Bs, sports clubs with commercial activities and trading charity shops are now eligible
To qualify for a grant, the important criteria are:
- A business must be commercial and in the local authority rates system (apart from non-rateable B&Bs who can apply to Fáilte Ireland);
- It must have suffered a 25% loss of expected turnover between 1 April and 30 June 2020;
- It must have less than 250 employees and turnover less than €25m;
- It must declare its intention to re-employ staff in receipt of the Temporary Wage Subsidy Scheme
Further details about the Restart Grant
- The grant will be based on the amount of the rates assessment for the premises for 2019 (excluding arrears) with a new minimum grant of €4,000 and a maximum grant of €25,000 (Increased from €2,000 min and €10,000 max).
- Eligible firms now include medium-sized firms and independent hotels with up to 250 employees, as well as small firms (increased from 50 employees).
- Businesses impacted by a 25% reduction in turnover will be eligible provided they commit to reopening and to hiring and sustaining employment.
- A turnover of up to €25m is now allowable, increased from €5m. There is a cap of €100,000 turnover per employee.
- Commercial sports businesses and trading charity shops in rated premises can now apply for the grant.
- The hospitality sector, restaurants, pubs, activity centres and tourist attractions, e.g., galleries, museums are eligible if they are operating from a commercial rated premise.
- A franchisee which is a financially independent company and is completely separate to the franchisor is eligible to apply.
- Small company chains can apply if they meet the criteria of <250 employees and €25m turnover in totality across the company and all the branches.
- Multinationals are not eligible. Small Irish based subsidiaries with overseas parent companies are not eligible.
- Large chains that are part of a large group company, i.e. one legal entity with a number of branches, such as fast food, group and multiple supermarkets, group hotels, group betting shops and group pharmacies are not eligible.
- B&Bs in non-rated premises will be eligible to apply for the minimum €4,000 grant from Fáilte Ireland. Applications to Fáilte Ireland, will open over the coming weeks.
- For first-time applicants under Restart Plus, the minimum grant is €4,000 and the maximum is €25,000.
The new online application form is for New Applicants only and the Application Form together with further details and FAQs are now available at: www.galwaycity.ie/restart .
Businesses that received a grant under the initial Restart Grant Scheme do not need to re-apply to receive their additional funding and correspondence will issue from Galway City Council to you within the next week.