- Over 75 individuals and groups to be recognised on May 26th
- Mayor of Galway City to launch Galway City Community Spirit video
Like many events, the annual Galway City Mayor’s Awards will be going virtual for the first time ever this year. The ceremony will be broadcast live online from the Sound to Light studio in Liosban Industrial Estate via Galway City Council’s YouTube channel from 6.00pm on Wednesday, 26th May. The awards will formally recognise the outstanding contributions that local volunteers, community groups and voluntary organisations have made in supporting the residents of Galway City during the past year.
Volunteers will be celebrated across nine different categories:
• Arts, Culture, Heritage & Cúrsaí Gaeilge Award
• Residents & Local Areas Award
• Community Service & Social Inclusion Award - Individual
• Community Service & Social Inclusion Award - Group
• Older Person Volunteer of the Year Award
• Sports Volunteer of the Year Award
• Children and Youth Support Award
• Young Volunteer of the Year Award
• Environmental Sustainability Award
The Mayor of Galway City, Cllr. Mike Cubbard will mark the awards by launching a very special Galway City Community Spirit video, showcasing and highlighting the breadth of community spirit and solidarity that was on show during 2020 and still continues very strongly, making a significant impact on the quality of all communities across Galway City.
Speaking on the awards, Mayor Cubbard commented:
“Having been privileged to see all the nominations that came in, I am amazed by the vast cohort of volunteers that give so generously of their time and energy in what was an extremely challenging year for Galway City, and the country as a whole. While we can’t gather together to celebrate in person this year, I really look forward to paying tribute to each and everyone one of them on the night and hope that as many people as possible will join us for what will be a fantastic event.”
In these unprecedented times, it is even more important to acknowledge those who have volunteered on the front line during the COVID-19 crisis bringing vital supplies, support and comfort to the most vulnerable people in our communities, so make sure to tune in for a chance to show your appreciation and witness all the fantastic work that has been carried out by volunteers and frontline heroes.
Watch along on the night at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJA6X1wAV78VBbbDSp-S5vA