The Decade of Centenaries Programme for 2022 marks events arising from the signing of the Anglo-Irish Treaty; the outbreak of the Civil War; and the foundation of the State. The Government’s objective is to promote an inclusive, respectful, authentic, measured and consultative approach to commemorations, which encourages a deeper understanding of the context of the time, recognising the differing perspectives on our shared history and seeking to strengthen peace and reconciliation on the island of Ireland.
Galway City Council will coordinate and support a range of activities locally in the city of Galway throughout the year and now invites submissions for the organisation of local events in the coming months.
• Small scale grants are available from Galway City Council for community-led commemoration and reflection: Remembering local legacies, personalities, places, events, and themes that have particular significance across the city, or in local areas.
• Community-led commemorations could include activities such as development of curated digital content, online exhibitions, podcasts, webinars, virtual tours, artistic and creative endeavours, and other online outreach activities for people of all ages.
• Particular emphasis will be placed on initiatives designed to support engagement with older people, new communities, young people, and other specific audiences.
• Galway City Council Arts Office also invites artists, in all art forms, to reflect on the themes of the Decade of Centenaries Programme relevant to life in Galway City around the period 1922, to create a new and imaginative works which will engage the public.
• Submissions should be made by 21st January and events/activities need to be completed by 30th September 2022.
• All initiatives, events, and activities funded from this allocation must adhere to all of the public health advice and guidance, laid down by the HSE and the Government, with regard to the COVID-19 pandemic.
• Grants amounts will be in the region of €1000 with a maximum grant of €3,000 for exceptional activities.
• Full details including Government objectives around the commemoration of the Decade of Centenaries are available at www.galwaycity.ie/commemorationsfunding or by emailing email@example.com
• Applicants are advised to read the associated funding guidelines for this scheme