Red Weather Alert – Galway City Local Updates
(Sunday 12/11/2023 8:30pm) Galway City Council convened a local coordination meeting with the HSE, An Garda Síochána and the Fire Service this evening to assess the weather forecast and to review the local response for Galway City, following the Red Weather Alert issued by Met Éireann today.
Between 3:00am and 5:00am on Monday 13 November, it will be extremely gusty due to Storm Debi, with potential danger to life (Issued 15:00 Sunday 12/11/2023).
- Damage to exposed and vulnerable structures
- Disruption to services and transport
- Significant power outages
- Fallen trees/branches
There may be impacts in Galway City including flooding, overtopping, damage to exposed and vulnerable structures, disruption to services and transport, power outages, and fallen trees/ branches.
Galway City Council and An Garda Síochána notify that the following roads will be closed during the Red Weather alert:
- Salthill – from the mini-roundabout at Threadneedle Road (R336)/ Upper Salthill Road, along Seapoint Promenade (R336) to Galway Business School.
- Silverstrand Road
- Rosshill Road – a section of the Rosshill Road along the forest area will be closed off to the public.
- Ballyloughane Road (beach) remains open, but road users are advised to avoid the area during the red weather alert.
Roads will reopen when the Red Warning has been lifted by Met Eireann, and following attendance and clean up by Galway City Council crews on Monday. Updates to follow as roads are reopened.
Motorists are advised to remove cars from car parks at Salthill, Tofts, Silverstrand and Ballyloughane Beach.
- Toft Car Park is closed off to the public.
- Salthill Car Park is closed off to the public.
Sandbags have been placed at following locations for the public:
- Tourist Kiosk Salthill
- Claddagh Hall
- Fire Station Fr Burke Road
- Spanish Arch
- Docks beside the Pedestrian Crossing (St Nicholas Street)
The Local Coordination Group will meet again at 7am on Monday morning 13th November, to review the impact of the storm and co-ordinate further response and assistance to the public.
Further updates will issue after this meeting.
Galway City Council Crews remain on standby.
Please check the most current updates from Met Eireann on www.meteireann.ie
Salthill Road Closure