The Galway City Council Recycling Centre provides a facility for residential customers of Galway City to bring and dispose of unwanted household or electrical items free of charge.
The centre is for Galway City residential customers only. Commercial use is strictly prohibited.
Where is the recycling centre located?
The recycling centre is located in the Liosbán Industrial Estate.
What are opening times of the recycling centre?
The recycling centre is open to the public:
- Monday to Thursday from 2pm to 4pm
- Friday from 2pm to 3pm
- Saturday from 8.15am to 12.30pm
Note - periodically it may be necessary to close the recycling centre at short notice during the times listed above for various reasons including severe weather. If you wish to check if the recycling centre is open please contact Galway City Council's Customer Service Team
What can I bring to the recycling centre?
- Glass Type 1 - Jars & Bottles (bottle banks at facility)
- Glass Type 2 - Window Panes, Mirrors, frames/backing removed, Pyrex, drinking glasses, glass vases (open top skip at facility)
- Clean and dry clothes and shoes (dispose in Clothes banks at facility)
- Oils - Cooking Oil & Waste Engine Oil ONLY and in small quantities (maximum of 5 litres accepted)
- Oil Filters - Small quantities - maximum2 litres accepted.
- Batteries - All household batteries and car batteries.
- Light Bulbs - Fluorescent Tubes & CFL bulbs ONLY (no ordinary light bulbs - place in landfill bin)
- Waste Electrical & Electronic Equipment(WEEE)
Domestic/ Household ONLY, Waste Electrical & Electronic Equipment anything requiring a plug or battery to operate. i.e. Fridges/freezers, televisions, cookers, vacuum cleaners, electric kettles, toasters, computers, microwaves, lamps, etc. Battery operated items, i.e. cameras, games, toys, torches, remote controls, calculators, etc.
- Mobile phones - dispose in charity mobile phone recycling container.
- Large Hard Plastics - Large plastic toys, plastic basins/buckets/containers, plastic garden furniture, car baby seats, plastic laundry baskets, PVC windows & doors (ensure all metal & glass is removed).
- Waste Metals - Bicycles, metal pots/pans/buckets, metal ironing boards, metal household racks, metal stools/chairs (seats removed), gas heaters (cylinder removed), non-electrical lawnmowers, fire-guards/grates, metal stepladders, buggies.
- Timber - Wooden chairs/stools (seats removed), timber doors and window frames (all metal & glass removed), timber ladders, large wooden furniture items, i.e. wardrobes, will be accepted only if disassembled & all metal & glass removed, timber floors (typical household quantity only from DIY works), wicker baskets/chairs, wooden stakes/fencing.
- Ceramics - Crockery, delph, flowerpots, small quantity of tiles (consistent with small household DIY works), sanitary ware, ornaments.
Before you dispose of your items please consider if they could be reused or given to a charity shop/community group.
From time to time, Galway City Council may not accept some items, although listed above, due to operational/licensing issues. We will endeavour to avoid this from happening where possible.
What is not accepted at the recycling centre?
Items not accepted include:
- Asbestos: Will not be accepted under any circumstances
- General Waste / Refuse bags: General mixed waste or refuse bags of any kind will not be accepted. Non-recyclable & non-compostable waste can be placed in the landfill bin or consult with authorised private waste company.
- Paint: Waste paints are currently not accepted at the facility. Future availability of this service will be advertised locally and on the Galway City Council web site. In the interim people are encouraged to use up all paints, clean container thoroughly at which point the empty clean container can be placed in the household recycling bin.
- Hazardous Waste Items: White Spirits, Weed killer, Glue, Aerosols, Chemicals, etc. (These items must be disposed of using the Hazardous mobile collection facility. This service will be advertised locally and on the Galway City Council web site.)
- Ink Toner Cartridges: Return to supplier.
- Tyres: Consult with authorised private waste company
- Gas Cylinders: Return to supplier
- Carpets, Mats & Rugs Avail of GCC bulky goods collection service 091 536400 or consult with authorised private waste company.
- Beds/Mattresses, Sofas, Furniture: Avail of GCC bulky goods collection service 091 536400 or consult with authorised private waste company
- Paper: Phonebooks, Newspapers, wrapping, schoolbooks, magazines etc. (These items can be placed in the household recycling bin).
- Packaging: Cardboard boxes/plastic wrapping can be placed in your refuse recycling bin. Aeroboard / styrofoam can be placed in the landfill bin.
- Plastic Bottles/Food Tins: Plastic bottles/containers, milk/juice cartons and food tins should be cleaned and dried and can be placed in the household recycling bin
- Organic Garden Waste: Grass cuttings, hedge trimmings, shrubs, trees, leaves can all be placed in the domestic composting waste bin. Consult with authorised private waste company for removal of soil & stone or large quantities of garden waste.
- Ordinary Light Bulbs: Ordinary non CFL light bulbs (can be placed in landfill bin)
- D.I.Y. Waste: Gypsum, blocks, bricks, capping, cement, tiling grout/adhesive, soil & stones. Consult with authorised private waste company.
Please ensure the waste company you engage to dispose of your items has the relevant Waste Collection Permit and Licence/Waste Facility Permit. Further details can be found from www.nwcpo.ie www.epa.ie or firstname.lastname@example.org
Can I dispose of paint cans?
Waste paints, including paint cans, are currently not accepted at the facility. Future availability of this service will be advertised locally and on the Galway City Council web site. In the interim people are encouraged to use up all paints, clean container thoroughly at which point the empty clean container can be placed in the household recycling bin.
Does the recycling centre accept engine oil?
Waste Engine Oil and Cooking Oil are accepted in small quantities (maximum of 5 litres accepted).
Other oils are not accepted.
Recycling Centre - Conditions of Use
- The facility is for domestic use only. Commercial use is strictly prohibited.
- All items must be pre sorted prior to arrival at the facility, i.e. you must separate plastic/metal/timber as appropriate, remove cushions/padding from baby seats/garden furniture/buggies, remove seats from chairs & stools, remove glass & metal from doors & windows, remove frames/backing from mirrors/pictures. etc.
- Customers are advised that the facility is a self-service facility. If customers require assistance to load items at home then they must ensure that they bring someone to assist them with lifting the items from their vehicle at the facility.
- Galway City Council Recycling Centre is under 24-hour surveillance. All license plates are recorded and anyone found dumping illegal items will be issued with a €150 on-the-spot fine and may also be prosecuted under the Litter Pollution Acts 1997-2003 under which the maximum fine is €1,900.
- Any person attending the Civic amenity facility is required to adhere to the code of conduct for the facility.
- Members of the public are advised that it is their responsibility to remove all data from computers, hard drives, memory devices, phones, media players etc. prior to disposal so as to prevent misuse of personal information and other data or images.
I am a retailer. Can I use the recycling centre?
Electrical Retailers are not permitted to use the recycling centre. All queries regarding WEEE recycling to www.weeeireland.ie
Registered battery retailers may deposit batteries only at the recycling centre by prior arrangements with the operator.
REPAK Recycling Facilities Search
Useful Links re. Recycling: