• Do I need a permit to move cargo by road?

    Under the Road Traffic (Construction and Use of Vehicles) Regulations 2003,you need a permit to move goods by road if the your cargo exceeds the limits stated in those regulations which can be found at the following link: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2003/en/si/0005.html


  • What is the fee associated with permits to carry Abnormal loads?

    The following fees will apply to move abnormal loads on public roads maintained by Galway City Council

    • Single journey/daily permit €60
    • 3 month permit €150
    • Annual permit €500


  • How do I apply for a permit to carry Abnormal Loads?

    If you wish to apply for a permit to carry Abnormal Loads, you must complete the relevant application form for a Permit To Carry Abnormal Loads and return it to the address below.

    Roads Section,
    Transportation, Infrastructure, Recreation & Amenity,
    Galway City Council,
    Grammar School Annex,
    College Road,


  • When should I apply?

    An application for a permit to carry an abnormal load must be submitted 5 working days in advance.


  • What are the conditions relating to the permit once it has been approved?

    • The permit issued is valid only for the vehicle, dates and route specified in the application.
    • The permit applicant also undertakes to compensate Galway City Council for any damage caused to the public roads by use of the vehicle under the permit
    • The onus is on the applicant to inform the Gardaí of the proposed movement of abnormal load.
    • The applicant must also notify the local authorities for any other area through which you intend to travel.
    • The applicant will make himself fully aware of the proposed route and be satisfied that the load being applied for is capable of being transported without damage to surrounding public or private property.
    • GCC may impose time restrictions and route restrictions depending on the load being applied for.
    • Top...