The Crescent/Sea Road Junction Upgrade
PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT ACT 2000 (As amended)
PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT REGULATIONS 2001 (As amended) (PART 8)
The Crescent/Sea Road Junction Upgrade
Applicant: Galway City Council
Location: R337 Fr Griffin Avenue continuing along the R337 (The Crescent) up to the Junction of the R864 St Marys Road
Proposal: In accordance with Part XI of the Planning & Development Acts 2000 (as amended) and Part VIII, Article 81 of the Planning Development Regulations 2001 (as amended), notice is hereby given by Galway City Council of the proposal to provide upgrade junctions and pedestrian facilities along the R337 Fr Griffin Avenue Junction joining the R337 (The Crescent) up not the Junction of the R864 St Marys Road, Galway; entitled “The Crescent/Sea Road Junction Upgrade”
The site is located as follows:
• R337 Fr Griffin Avenue, starting 50 meters south from the junction with the LS5115 Sea Road up to the Junction upgrade of the R864 St Marys Road.
The scheme is proposed to include:
• The redesign of junction of The Crescent, Salthill Road Lower, Taylor’s Hill and St. Mary’s Road to include the tightening of the junction facilitated by the rationalisation of some on-street parking.
• The resurfacing of Sherwood Avenue from Taylor’s Hill Road to Scóil Fhúrsa.
• The removal of the left slip lane from The Crescent to Salthill Road Lower.
• Redesign of the available space to facilitate enhanced pedestrian facilities and public realm.
• The upgrade to the traffic signals at this junction and linkages with the UTMC to provide better control on his Junction.
• The provision of raised tables at the junctions of Crescent Green, Palmyra Park and Sea Road.
• The narrowing of the Sea Road junction facilitated by build-out and the removal of 1 no. lane of traffic from the Sea Road approach.
• The provision of a pedestrian crossing on Fr Griffin Avenue directly west of the junction with St Pauls Road.
• The provision of a pedestrian crossing on The Crescent, directly east of the junction with Palmyra Park and resurfacing of adjacent pedestrian facilities of length approximately 330m.
• Improved public realm space at the location of the existing slip road from The Crescent to Salthill Road Lower with hard and soft landscaping to be introduced.
An Environmental Impact Assessment Screening Report has been prepared in respect of the proposed development and in accordance with Article 120(1)(b)(1) of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001 (As amended), concluded that an Environmental Impact Assessment Report is not required. In accordance with Section 120 of the Planning & Development Regulations (as amended), any person may, within 4 weeks from the date of this notice, apply to An Bord Pleanála for a screening determination as to whether the proposed development would be likely to have significant effects on the environment. Such a submission should be addressed to the Secretary, An Bord Pleanála, 64 Marlborough Street, Dublin 1.
Galway City Council has carried out an Appropriate Assessment (AA) Screening Report and has concluded that a full Appropriate Assessment is not required in respect of this proposed development.
Plans and particulars of the proposed development, including the Environmental Impact Assessment Screening Report and Appropriate Assessment Screening Report, will be available for public inspection or purchase at a fee not exceeding the reasonable cost of making a copy during office hours for a period of 4 weeks from Thursday, 27th of April 2023 up to and including Thursday, 25th of May 2023 during public hours at the Planning Office, Galway City Council, City Hall, College Road, Galway, from 9:00am to 4:00 pm Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays. For appointments, please contact planning at 091-536599 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Written submissions or observations with respect to the proposed development dealing with the proper planning and sustainable development of the area in which the development is situated may be made in writing to the Local Authority to arrive no later than: 4.00pm on Thursday, 8th of June 2023 to Senior Planner, Planning Department, Galway City Council, City Hall, College Road, Galway or by email to email@example.com. It should be noted that the Freedom of Information Act applies to all records held by Galway City Council.
All comments, including names of those making comments, submitted to the Council regarding this scheme will form part of the statutorily required report to be presented at a meeting of the elected members. Accordingly, they may also be included in the minutes of that meeting and may appear in the public domain. Galway City Council is subject to the provisions of Freedom of Information (FOI Acts 1997 and 2014) and the Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2013.
Director of Service Infrastructure Development, Planning & Climate Change
Date: 27th of April 2023
The Crescent / Sea Road Part 8 Map
The Crescent / Sea Road - Architectural Heritage Impact Assessment Report
The Crescent / Sea Road - Preliminary Design Report
The Crescent / Sea Road - Part 8 Report
The Crescent / Sea Road - Screening Report for Appropriate Assessment