Privacy Statement Galway City Council
Galway City Council seeks to promote the economic, social and cultural development of Galway City and in doing so contribute significantly to improving the quality of life of the people of Galway City.
The delivery of high quality services, tailored to meet the needs of all our customers, remains one of Galway City Council's core objectives. This quality service includes not only the level and quality of service given to our customers, but also the quality of our decision-making processes, the efficiency and effectiveness of our corporate operations, standard of our facilities and our ability to adapt in an ever-changing environment.
In order to provide the most effective and targeted range of services to meet the needs of the citizens, communities and businesses of Galway city we are required to collect, process and use certain types of information about people and organisations. Depending on the service being sought or provided the information required may include 'personal data' as defined by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and may relate to current, past and future service users; past; current and prospective employees; suppliers; and members of the public who may engage in communications with our staff. In addition, staff may be required, from time to time, to collect, process and use certain types of personal data to comply with regulatory or legislative requirements.
Why do we have a privacy statement?
Galway City Council has created this privacy statement in order to demonstrate our firm commitment to privacy and to assure you that in all your dealings with Galway City Council that we will protect the data you provide to us.
Galway City Council creates, collects and processes a significant amount of personal data in various multiple formats on a daily basis. Galway City Council's commitment is that the personal data you to supply to us is:
- Obtained lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner
- Obtained for only specified, explicit and legitimate purposes
- Adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary for purpose for which it was obtained
- Recorded, stored accurately and securely and where necessary kept up to date
- Kept only for as long as is necessary for the purposes for which it was obtained.
- Kept in a form which permits identification of the data subject
- Processed only in a manner that ensures the appropriate security of the personal data including protection against unauthorised or unlawful processing.
Web Site Privacy: www.galwaycity.ie
What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit. Web browsers allow control of cookie usage through the browser settings.
To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org
Data Protection Policy
Galway City Council's Data protection Policy outlines how we are committed to ensuring the security of any personal data you provide to us.
A copy of our Data Protection Policy can be accessed on www.galwaycity.ie Galway City Council Data Protection Policy
What personal data do we need?
The types of personal data you may be asked to supply can be categorised as follows:
- Contact details to allow for efficient communication
- Details of your personal circumstances which you are required by law to supply as part of your application for a service offered by Galway City Council
- Your financial details which you are required by law to supply as part of your application for a service offered by Galway City Council
In order to communicate with you, you will be asked for contact details. When gathering contact details Galway City Council will clearly indicate what communications the contact details will be used for.
It will be necessary to provide sufficient details for communications to happen. Providing comprehensive contact details may make it easier for Galway City Council to provide a better service.
Details of Personal Circumstances
If you wish to apply for a particular service from the local authority you may be asked for a varying amount of personal details specific to you and your family, in order to support your application. Galway City Council will set out the information we require in a series of separate and distinct application forms relevant to each service. Each service/business unit which will ask you for personal information will outline
- The specific and legitimate purpose for which the personal data is being sought
- The legal basis under which the information is required to be supplied
- Details of the other organisations/bodies/entities that we will be required to share data with, or obtain data from, in order to provide the required service
- Details of how your personal data will be kept safe from unauthorised or unlawful processing
- Details of the period for which your personal data will be retained by Galway City Council and what will happen to it after the required retention period has expired.
If you wish to apply for a particular service from the local authority you may be asked for a varying amount of personal financial details specific to you and your family, in order to support your application. Galway City Council will set out the information we require in a series of separate and distinct application forms relevant to each service. As is the case with the other personal data outlined above the specific service/section of Galway City Council will address the necessity for the financial details as part of their specific privacy notice.
Data Protection Rights
The General data protection regulations ensures your personal information is gathered, processed and stored in accordance with the law. If you have any data protection queries or concerns. Please contact Galway City Council data protection officer
Data Protection Officer / Oifigeach Cosanta Sonraí
Galway City Council / Comhairle Cathrach na Gaillimhe
College Road / Bóthar an Choláiste
Galway / Gaillimh
Eircode: H91 X4K8
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org